What to Do After an Accident
Tips from New York Personal Injury Attorneys
Accidents happen – but what happens next depends on what you do to protect yourself. Follow these five rules and call us at 212-227-4000. Our personal injury attorneys in New York City are ready to guide you through the necessary steps, explain your legal options, and help you pursue the compensation you deserve. Remember, speak to us before speaking to any insurance company, signing any paper, giving a statement over the telephone or in person, or accepting a settlement offer. It can make all the difference in your case.
Step 1: Call the Police
- The police will prepare a legal record showing who was involved and what happened.
- Do not accept blame or argue.
- If police do not respond, get the names and addresses of everyone involved and all witnesses. Report the accident to the nearest police precinct. With auto accidents, a report must be made within 24 hours of the accident.
- In a motor vehicle accident, write down the license plate number, insurance company, policy number, and the driver’s and owner’s names and addresses.
Step 2: Get All Witness Names and Addresses
- Write down as much information as possible from the parties involved in the incident, as well as from witnesses who may have seen the accident.
Step 3: Take Photographs
- Motor Vehicle Accidents: Damage to vehicles, license plates, drivers, position of vehicles on the roadway.
- Injuries you suffered.
- Fall Down Accidents: the condition that made you fall, the area of the accident, the street signs and address.
Step 4: Seek Immediate Medical Attention
- Go to the nearest emergency room for an examination.
- Follow up with your doctor.
- Even if you don’t feel pain immediately, you run the chance of overlooking a serious and potentially long-lasting problem if you do not take care of yourself. Further, failing to see a doctor in a timely manner after an accident may jeopardize your personal injury claim.
Step 5: Call Us For Immediate, Expert Advice & Attention
- Always speak to your attorney before speaking to an insurance company.
- Do not sign any forms or make any statements over the telephone, in person, or in writing without the advice of an attorney.
Mirman, Markovits & Landau, P.C. offers FREE case evaluations to accident victims in New York City. To learn more about your rights and how we can help you get compensated after an accident, please fill out an online consultation form and we will be in touch with you shortly.