New York Construction Accident Attorney
Injured on a Construction Site? You Have Rights!
The construction industry is one of the most dangerous and injury-prone in the United States. In fact, according to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), over 20% – or 1 in 5 – of all worker fatalities in the U.S. in 2013 occurred in construction. If you suffered an injury on a construction site, either as a worker or passerby, we encourage you to contact a New York City personal injury lawyer at Mirman, Markovits & Landau, P.C. today for a free consultation. As one of the most trusted firms in the state for construction accidents, we know what it takes to represent you effectively.
The top 10 OSHA violations in 2014, and the industries they occurred in, were as follows:
- Fall protection – in the construction industry
- Hazard communication standards – in general industry
- General requirements for scaffolding – in the construction industry
- Respiratory protection – in general industry
- Powered industrial trucks – in general industry
- Control of hazard energy, lockout / tagout – in general industry
- Ladders / Scaffolding – in the construction industry
- Electrical, including components and equipment – in general industry
- Machinery and machine guarding – general requirements
- Electrical systems design – in general industry
- Building Collapse Accidents– in construction industry
Of the seven violations cited in the general industry, most occur on construction sites. The top four killers on construction sites, known as the “fatal four,” are falls, struck-by-object accidents, electrocutions, and caught in-between accidents. When employers and supervisors fail to ensure that job sites are up to OSHA standards, they expose their employees to danger. Take steps to protect your rights after an accident by contacting our New York personal injury attorneys.
Workers’ Compensation Claims vs. Third Party Lawsuits
If you were injured at work, one option is to file a workers’ compensation claim through your employer. Virtually all employees in New York are covered by some form of workers’ comp insurance. Some of the benefits provided by workers’ compensation include coverage for your medical expenses, partial coverage for lost wages, and potential disability benefits. The good news is that you are entitled to these benefits regardless of who was at fault for your accident.
What Damages can I Recover in a Third Party Lawsuit?
If your accident was caused by the negligence of a third party—like the manufacturer of faulty equipment, a grossly negligent supervisor, or a negligent maintenance company—you may seek further compensation through a third party lawsuit. This would allow you to seek damages for a wider range of losses, beyond what you would be able to recover through workers’ compensation.
When filing a third party lawsuit, you may be able to seek compensation for:
- Past & future loss of wages in full
- Your loss of earning capacity
- Physical pain and suffering
- Long-term rehabilitation costs
Why You Should Call Mirman, Markovits & Landau, P.C.
Our knowledge of personal injury law is time-tested and proven. Our billion-dollar track record speaks for itself. This is why so many of our clients have referred their friends, families, and neighbors to us. There is no substitute for experience, presence, and reputation. With Mirman, Markovits & Landau, P.C., you can find all of this in one place.
More reasons to consider Mirman, Markovits & Landau, P.C. include:
- We’re always available to take your call – 24 hours a day
- We work on contingency fees, so you don’t pay unless we win
- We have more than 100+ years of collective legal experience
- We have handled more than 20,000 personal injury cases
- Our team has recovered more than $1 billion for our clients
If you or your family member was hurt in a job site accident, you may be wondering how to approach the legal implications of the case. Our New York construction accident lawyers understand the law exhaustively and stand ready to help you fight for the compensation you deserve. Call Mirman, Markovits & Landau, P.C. for a free case evaluation.
- 3 Biggest Accident Risks Construction Workers Face
- Who is Responsible for a Construction Accident?
Are you ready to get started on your case? Call Mirman, Markovits & Landau, P.C. for a free case evaluation at 212-227-4000. Our firm proudly represents individuals in all NYC boroughs and throughout the state.